HSR is not needed in the USA. The one in Boston to NYC is not HSR but high speed train without the speed:
1. The air travel is mature here.
2. The population density is not dense enough for profit like China.
3. Expensive and political.
4. No more cheap Chinese labor. The Chinese connected the railway from Chicago to California even you do not see any yellow face in every milestone photo. It is tough job esp. in the hot summer days.
5. The Rocky is too much to drill and will never be profitable.
6. Even for the easy one for SF to LA, we're still debating who is on top. A water duct from Seattle to Calif. is a better deal for the potential return.
No brainer except for the politicians and all those who benefit from the project.