Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Retail is a tough business

When I did (about 5 years ago), Loews and HD were not in my screen. I forgot the top 10 retailers and many were local such as Lechemere, Somerville Lumber (screwed by HD), Bradley, Zayers, Circuit City, Filene's... - need to go back to the list. However, only one or two survive today.

Macy was almost bankrupted and was rescued by a Hong Kong film maker Run-Run Shaw whose relative was married to the family member of Macy's owner.

I made some money in retailers. However, many turned to be losers when I held them too long.


-------------------

I sold Sears after making a good profit. I bought it when the outlook was very good. I was irritated to sell it too early when I visited Sears at Toronto and found it was well run and presented. Not a while ago I was frustrated when Lambert (the hedge fund manager with heavy investment in Sears) made millions. Now, I am glad.

When it merged with K-Mart, I know the fat lady had sung. When two losers merge, most likely the managements blame the other side and spell the end of the company. We have too many examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment