Sunday, May 1, 2016

My son, the artist



I did not have the luxury of studying and working in the field I really enjoyed but my son does. My college housemates (all majored in EE) were surprised that I switched major from Electronic Engineering (EE) to Industrial Engineering even I had all A in EE courses. I thought there would be more jobs when I returned to my native village Hong Kong; I end up staying in the land of opportunities.

I still have the concept of starving artist in my mind. In college, a professor told me the department of Art should be closed. The art student next door could be the most beautiful lady in the campus. Hence, I did not agree to close the department. I was and still am very shallow.

I do not understand art, so I do not really understand my son’s work. Without art and music, life is not worth living. Life without bread is not a life. My priority is bread and my son's is something he enjoys. I'm not smart enough to change my destiny.

He won the grand prize in his first art exhibit. Due to my lack of knowledge in art and my natural bias, I copy the following from a blog on art (KnowYourScene):

Eric Pow is from Quincy, MA and doing some really amazing artwork with paper. He uses his mixture of cultures, being an American born Chinese, as influence for the pieces he creates. He studied Graphic Design while in college, but also learned art techniques and philosophies that he applies to his work. When explaining why he uses paper in his art, he counters with the statement, “There is an understanding of other mediums such as paint, where painters are not questioned on why paint as medium”. He also explains, “I create art out of paper because it is the medium that relates to me the closest”. Some of the techniques he’s using to create these pieces are paper cutting, paper quilling, and paper carving. These styles and techniques have a long unique history, which he goes more in depth with on his Website. You can also find more of his artwork on his Etsy, where he also sells the bulk of his creations. In case you were reading this and wondering if he does custom pieces, the answer is yes. He can be contacted through his website or you can Email him directly.”

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tony!! Joy here...sounds wonderful about your son! I will look him up on Etsy.

    Also, would you mind if I had your email again and send you something about ticker choices?

    Investment "advisors" all sound the same and you have nothing but honesty and no strings attached.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, go ahead. Do you still have my Facebook mail ID?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I will contact you there!

      Delete
  2. Hi Tony. I sent email. Did you get it? BTW, your son's work is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete