Thursday, May 19, 2016

All ETFs are not equal



Update as of 5/2016: Barron’s prediction is mostly wrong as oil has passed $45 per barrel. It is due to unexpected events such as the fire in Canada.

I bought OIL in Jan. 19, 2016 (one of my purchases in this period). I expected to increase in price by 50% as the oil does, but it only increased 25%. What happened to half of my profit? Consider USO as an alternative to OIL.

Expecting oil price will appreciate, it is better to bet on oil service companies instead of OIL. Here is an article on how to play the oil commodity and a site on energy ETFs. I have the annualized returns of energy ETFs and CVX from Jan. 19, 2016 to May, 12, 2016.

Symbol
Description
Ann. Return
OIL
Crude oil
33%
USO
US Oil Fund ETF
112%
OIH
Oil services
80%
XOP
SPDR Oil & Gas
138%
IYE
iShr DJ US Energy
75%
XLE
S&P Energy
76%
CVX
Chevron
81%
Average

85%
SPY

32%

No comments:

Post a Comment