Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My betrayal

Shamelessly I bought a Japanese car last weekend during the Japan and China islet dispute.  I am a Chinese American. However, the car was assembled in America and most components beside the engine and transmission are made in China. Hence driving all the way to Washington DC to burn my brand new car in front of the Japanese Ambassy does not make a lot of sense. In addition, this half patriot has to care about his own pocket and free trade.

I received a letter of 10% off from the dealer. When I came in, they said they had to add $800 for marketing. If it is not bait and switch, I do not know what is. I bet if I leave, they will accept my offer they cannot refuse before I start my car.

The finance manager dressed nicely and was very presentable. It reminded me of the wolf that wears sheep's skin. He showed me a long list of warranties with expensive prices. I told him I was not the target audience because I was broke. He challenged my intelligence by asking me how much I would buy if they were free. I told him none as my mother taught me there was no free lunch in life. He was very frustrated as he was losing thousands of dollars. As I was leaving his office with zero dollar transferred from my pocket to his, he called his psychologist for an appointment after work.

Not a good day for everyone in the car dealership except the salesman. Another salesman had a bad day as he refused the 10% right away and challenged me to see the letter. It is another case of 'a fool and his money part fast'.

-------
My model is the lowest edition. Nevertheless it is full of features that I may never use. I did not use even once the cruise control of my last car. I did not choose sunroof and leather seats and it is good that I have this option not to have these options. The way to flatten the rear seats with a push of a button is impressive for sales presentation, but I'll never use it as I have the booster seats there. The back rear mirror is great if it only costs $20 or so.

My friend asked for the advertised stripped down car. Of course, they did not sell (or make) this car and they had to give him extra features like a radio free.  Some dealers give you a big discount from the jacked-up prices. A bargain or a trap?

No comments:

Post a Comment