Sunday, December 3, 2017

Feasting tour in S. China



This book took about double my time in writing a similar travel book. I have about 3,200 photos taken in about 16 days in many cities in this trip. Half of them have people that I cannot include here without their consent. It is still a lot to select and classify them by regions. Most photos in this book are in maximal resolutions of my iPhone and camera.

Most of my travel books that have common sections pre-finished. I wrote more articles in this book than the others due to the love of my native country China - everyone should no matter where s/he originally comes from. Shenzhen shows us the bright future of China and I’m really proud of. The extensive subways and high speed train systems in many Chinese cities including Hong Kong are showcases to the world.

In these Tier I cities I can see a stronger China that many foreign media try to deny to make you feel better. Many times they amplify China’s problems and ignore her accomplishments. Even many professors in prestigious US universities have the same denials. Please do come to China and decide it for yourself. Ignorance is our biggest enemy. It is the same ignorance that China ignored the advances and industrial revolution and it bought her humiliation and bankruptcy about 250 years ago. 


Today China should have passed US in GDP if it is adjusted with the purchase power. However, China has about four times the population of the US. Hence, per capita wise, China is about ¼ ours. China is gaining in many fronts but it is still a long way to go. 

I do not say China does not have her problems as almost all countries do. Tier I cities are developed and in many ways surprise the top cities in the world, while western China is still developing. Compare China to China 30 or 20 years ago. China has been a victim for the last 250 years. Even in her hey days, she defended her territory (via the Great Wall for example) and seldom colonized countries as the west does – even Zheng Ho could easily colonized many countries on his way to South Africa. If Zheng Ho went to Europe and learned the advances, China would keep up with the west far better and the history of China would change.

I was born in Hong Kong and US is my adopted country. I am naturally biased. I hope both countries will live in harmony. China should not invade other countries as the others did to her. The highest skill is settling the disputes without firing a bullet. I like to promote cooperation and understanding between countries. “One Belt, One Road” Initiative is China’s way to promote trade between her neighbors instead of making enemies.

I came back to Hong Kong from the US for the 50th reunion with my classmates. Here I take the opportunity to thank them for arranging the trip to SE China and the sumptuous meals offered by Martin, Edgar, Bill, David, Charles and Raymond. Meeting many classmates I have not seen in 50 years is more than priceless. Also, thanks to many of my childhood friends. Without them, I would be in the wrong company and would turn out differently.

It is not profit effective in writing books on travel and politics for a nobody like me. However, it is fun for me and I hope you enjoy reading this book too.

No comments:

Post a Comment