Friday, July 8, 2011

When you max out 401K contribution

It is a nice inconvenience. You do not have many options at this stage. The following could help, but you need to research further and be responsible for your actions.

* Variable annuity. It allows you almost unlimited contribution and tax-deferred. I have one with Fidelity (which is supposed to be one of the lowest costs). It returns over 400% over 20 years - it is just the average if you consider compound rate of return.

Fidelity has a wide choice of sector funds that I use to play market/sector market timing.

Disadvantages. 1. Fidelity still makes money on fund fees (it is OK if they're performing better than ETFs). 2. All annuities will pocket part of your money at their own spec when they pay out (i.e. annualization).

* You should consider donating appreciated securities to your children (to me if you do not have) and charities, which Fidelity has a nice vehicle.

* You should consider your potential tax rate when you retire. In my case, my tax rate could be higher than my working years due to some good investments. I could be forced to be in the highest tax bracket when I am required to withdraw my 401s.

* Paying taxes is a patriotic task, esp. if the government used the taxes wisely. Click here for evidence.

(c) TonyP4 2011. Written in 7/8/11. Updated 7/8/11.

#####
Disclaimer: All my posts are for informational purposes only. I'm not a professional investment counselor. Seek one before you make any investment decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment